20020524: Gempak Binary Installation

>From: Pavel Byles-Howard University Engineering <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>my name is Pavel Byles from Howard University. I have recently installed
>the LDM and I am now shooting for Gempak. I downloaded, and untared the
>distribution but I am not sure how to get it running. I am using Solaris
>5.7. I have edited the Gemenviron file to point to where I unpacked
>Gempak. Is that all I need to do? And how do I run Gempak?
>
>Thankyou.
>--
>Pavel Byles
>Sent using Pine ver. 4.4
>on RedHat Linux 7.3
>http://138.238.177.225

Pavel,

If your system has the fortran sharable libraries, then you are all set.
If you do not have the fortran libraries on your system, then you can
download them as well from our web site.

Once you have edited the Gemenviron file and sourced the contents
into your csh environment, you can verify that the shareable libraries
are being found on your system by running "ldd $GEMEXE/nmap2".
(The GEMEXE environmental variable will be set when you source Gemenviron,
and will point to the directory containing the GEMPAK executables
the bin/sol or bin/x86 directory depending on whether you are running
under Solaris Sparc of Solaris for Intel).

If the ldd command shows that your environment isn't finding some
shareable libraries, use the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environmental
variable to set where your system should be finding them.

If you are going to use GEMPAK to decode and display data arriving
from your LDM, see:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.6/configuration.html

The GEMDATA environmental variable, which you define in the Gemenviron
file generally is set to the ~ldm/data/gempak directory.

A Good place to start for learning to use GEMPAK is:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/tutorial

Steve Chiswell