From: Stonie R. Cooper [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Friday, May 24, 2002 1:24 PM
To: address@hidden; address@hidden;
address@hidden
Subject: Re: GEMPAK on RedHat 7.3?

Pete,

The xfree86.org group has broken our utilization of XFree86 in the
transition
from 4.0.3 to 4.2.0.  I'm in the process of examining source diffs between
4.0.2 and 4.2.0, but it takes a long time, and is tedious.  I have posted
notes on this to address@hidden, and received several wild goose chases.

No one "official" from xfree86.org development core as responded, despite
having a bug report on this submitted.

I have tested three different video cards - from the lowest (an old Matrox
PCI card with 4MB RAM) to the highest (NVidia GEForce 400MX with 64MB RAM),
so it also not driver specific (as one xpert reply claimed).  I have also
tried fvwm, fvwm2, black box, sawfish, kde, kde2, twm, and mwm.  Gnome
breaks
8bit from the get-go, so I didn't feel like beating on that dead horse at
the
moment.

I also tried running virtual X sessions (on the GEForce), dual head (on an
ATI Radeon dual head card), etc. - the results are the same.  The least
tasking of WM, twm or black box, both at least a few color cells available
(8
to be exact), but you can't run anything under ntl with 8 colors.  Using
some
kde2 trickery, I did manage to get as many as 12 color cells free . . . but
again, this doesn't help.

Finally, one response I received on xpert indicated something about X doing
allocation in 8bit mode for some "216 color cube."  I'm not an X guru, by
any
means, so I have no idea what this means.  If anyone out there wants to help

with the diff examination, I'll gladly put the diff somewhere for everyone
look . . .
--
Stonie R. Cooper
Planetary Data, Incorporated