20020531: Commercial GEMPAK?

Rob,

What you propose is very similar to what a company called Planetary Data
(www.planetarydata.com) is doing. You might want to check them out as well.

Charging for your consulting time and configuring machines should be
perfectly within your right. It should be clear that the clients can
obtain Unidata software without charge if they choose. As you know, we
cannot make any guarantees to the usability of any software including future
support of operating systems and hardware, nor do we have the resources to
provide direct support. You can still contact other GEMPAK users through the
gembud email list of course. Also, we are always happy to know of bugs, and
other developments which users may provide, but we cannot guarantee
that any changes will make it in to future distributions- so make
modifications at your own risk.

You have probably seen the various postings regarding Linux problems
with RedHat 7.3 and the Xfree86 bundled X server. I cannot provide
any time frame for 24 bit support at this time, but is does appear that
other Linux users have been able to work around the Xfree86 problems
with source code updates. I throw that out for your consideration
as potential headaches that you might encounter.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support