20020628: 20020628: GINI TO GIF

Tom,

The 1km GINI images are created by GEMPAK 5.6.F and compressed
for transmission. (If your files are uncompressed, they will
be about 14.4 Mb, if they are compressed they will be 1-2Mb).

If you are running GEMPAK 5.6.F, then you can display the images
from their compressed form since this is the version that I added
the capability to. If you are using an earlier version of GEMPAK,
(or using McIDAS) then you will need to uncompress them first.

Tom Yoksas put together a program called pngg2gini to
uncompress the files (located in the ldm-mcidas decoders
package... described in the announcement of the availability
of the products).

Check your file sizes...that should give you the answer
as to whether the garble at the top of your www image is
due to looking at compressed bytes.

Steve Chiswell