Re: 20020627: Synoptic Code max/mins

Jeff,

The information is in the WMO manual on codes (No. 306) Volume II
(Regional Codes and National Reporting Practices).

As an example, For region VI, it says for section 3, Group 1SnTxTxTx
this group shall be included at 1800UTC to report the maximum daytime
temperature of the preceeding 12 hours (0600 to 1800).

For region 4, the group is:
at 0000Z and 1800Z the previous 12 hour max
at 0600Z the previous 24 hour max
at 1200Z the previous calenday day max

Gempak uses 2 tables:
                        00Z 06Z 12Z 18Z

        DATA  mintbl  / 99, 12, 99, 99,
     +                  12, 12, 12, 12,
     +                  99, 99, 12, 99,
     +                  18, 24, 12, 24,
     +                  24, 99, 99, 99,
     +                  99, 12, 99, 99,
     +                  12, 99, 12, 99/
C*
        DATA  maxtbl  / 99, 99, 99, 12,
     +                  12, 12, 12, 12,
     +                  12, 99, 99, 99,
     +                  12, 24, 24, 12,
     +                  99, 99, 24, 99,
     +                  99, 99, 99, 12,
     +                  12, 99, 12, 99/

showing what is reported at each of the 4 synoptic times for the 7 WMO regions.

Looking at maxtbl, you see for region 6 (aka line 6): 99, 99, 99, 12.
Meaning that at 0, 6, 12 it is not defined. At 18Z it is the 12 hour max

For region 4: 12, 24, 24, 12,  meaning at 0Z and 18Z it is a previous 12 hour
max, and at 6 and 12, a 24 hour max.

As you can see, it is apples to oranges when trying to plot a map
showing values in different WMO regions.

Steve Chiswell