20020712: Free Colors

>From: "adam taylor (994)" <address@hidden>

>Hello,  I have a RH 7.3(fresh) install with gempak version F running on
>it.  Gnome is not installed but KDE is.  In KDE i have 0 colors free, even
>with everything turned to Gray(icons, windows, etc).  When i had this
>running on RH 7.2 I used TWM (which i like alot for it simple usage) it
>only took up 7 colors.  That ment that I had 259 colors free and
>everything worked great.  The problem is that with 7.3, Using KDE gives me
>0 color cells and twm only gives me 6???  Which of course won't let me run
>anything.  I know that TWM is not suppose to take up 250 color cells but I
>am at a lost as to what is taking them all up.  Any help would be
>appreciated.
>
>The XFree86 version is 4.2.0
>
>Thanks,
>
>Adam Taylor
>Department of Geosciences
>University of Louisiana at Monroe

Adam,

In RH Linux 7.3, the default Xfree86 (4.2.0) server has a bug that
eats all available colors, so you will have to CVS checkout and
build the server for 7.3. That wasn't a problem with 7.2...
though 7.2 had lots of other bugs.

You can use the search page from the gempak home page. The Xfree86
for RH 7.3 is discussed at:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/glimpse/gempak/5085

Steve Chiswell