20020814: GEMPAK access

>From: "Craig Keiffer" <address@hidden>

Craig,

>I am contacting you to obtain some information on GEMPAK.

The HomePage for the Unidata distribution of GEMPAK is:

http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gemapk

>I'm a
>meteorologist with UPS Airlines and am interested in decoding raw model
>output into a format suitable for viewing with BufKit software.  This
>information is available on the internet from most NWSFO's web sites for
>locations within their area of responsibility.  Our problem is that each
>office administers their program differently.  Some locations don't update
>in a timely manner and many don't publish their profiles at all resulting in
>data gaps.
>
>We're interested in this data so we can continue our research on the
>operational forecasting of fog.  Our department published a paper last fall
>for the AMS Aviation Conference titled "RADIATION FOG: UPS AIRLINES
>CONCEPTUAL MODELS AND FORECAST METHODS"
>(http://ams.confex.com/ams/13ac10av/10ARAM/abstracts/39165.htm).  Since we
>are a package/cargo operation most of our flights arrive during the early
>morning hours near sunrise when the fog frequency peaks.  We are uniquely
>positioned to study fog because we have forecast/alert responsibility for
>over 90 airports domestically and evaluate each location nightly.  The high
>resolution hourly soundings viewed using BufKit have been instrumental in
>determining a sites low level temperature/moisture structure particularly
>for locations with no nearby sounding.
>
>I've contacted Ed Mahoney (BufKit Program Manager) at the Warning Decision
>Training Branch concerning what it would take for us to produce our own
>BufKit profiles and was told it can be done on a Linux box running GEMPAK.
>What would it take to obtain a copy of this software?

When you visit the GEMPAK HomePage at the URL listed above, you will
see the link 'Register as a Unidata User'.  In order to download any
package from Unidata, you must first register as a user.  After you register,
you will be given access to the download pages including that for GEMPAK.

>Any information you
>can provide would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Support for GEMPAK is provided to core Unidata participants: universities
in WMO Region IV.  Non-core participants like UPS Airlines will not be
given direct support by our office.  You are encouraged, however, to signup
for the 'gembud' email list so that you can pose your questions to the
greater GEMPAK community who are very good about helping others.

>Craig Keiffer
>Meteorologist - Flight Control
>United Parcel Service Airlines
>
>Phone: (502) 359-7075