20021001: GDRADR

>From: Anthony B Tang <address@hidden>

>Hi!
>
>I read on the forums that GDRADR produces grid format files for GEMpak to
>display NexRad Level 3 data. However, cannot find anywhere that states exactly
>how to use it. I have NEXRAD data, they are not from a stream and I'm not usin
>LDM. The data is in several separate files and in the $RAD directory.
>
>When I go into GDRADR, it asks for the GDFILE, while I specify and isn't that
>all that is necessary? Since all the information should be in the NEXRAD data,
>why do we need to specify more? I've seen the examples on Chapter4 of the
>GEMPak manual and it tells us to place different things, but am I right to say
>that those examples are from streaming data?
>
>As of now, when I run GDRADR, it writes a small file, but then asks for more
>data, which I do not know, but I think is in the NEXRAD files.
>
>Thanks for all your help.
>
>=-Anthony

>New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
>http://sbc.yahoo.com

The output grid file is specified by GDFILE. It is created if it doesn't
exist.

The input NEXRAD Level III data is assumed to be found according to
the NEXRIII template defined in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl. The program
uses the GDPFUN value to define %prod% in the template, and each station in
the STNFIL will deine the %site% template. The program will try to locate the
time closest RADTIM within the RADDUR window. See "phelp gdradr", and/or
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/examples/gdradr/.

There is nothing in gdradr particular to how you receive the data. You just have
to name the directory structure for your data so that the program can
use the %site% and %prod% templates in order to find the nearest matching
time for each radar.

Steve Chiswell