20021003: get some result with dcreanal

Wuyin,

Sorry for the confusion regarding the binary of dcreanal2.

As I wrote dcreanal2, it will recognize parameters with
3 or 4 dimensions. They can coexist in the same file,
but only one level dimension is recognized.

If a parameter has 3 dimensions, they are assumed to be
dimensioned by time, lon, and lat on a constant surface.

If a parameter has 4 dimensions, the level is assumed to be the
"level" dimension.

That means you can have T_sfc(time, lon, lat) and
T_pres(time, level, lon, lat) in the same file, where
levels provides the pressure levels. But, the program cannot
handle a second level coordinate like T_hght(time, hght, lon, lat).

The program was written for specific grids that I had in the
reanalysis data set files I was given, but is not generic
enough to anticipate different data sets.

Steve Chiswell

>From: Wuyin Lin <address@hidden>

>Hi Steve,
>
>I am writing you this message to tell you having some progress
>when your mail came in.
>
>After sending you the previous  email, I continued to deal with it
>and even applied dcreanal to the 'datau.cdf' w/ the distribution. It
>produced nothing. Our installation does have dcreanal2 source code but
>only one binary named  'dcreanal' The executable as specified on makefile
>is also called 'dcreanal' w/o '2'. So I thought the binary I was using was
>the actual 'dcreanal2'. (Someone else installed the whole package)
>
>Then I tried to debug it by recompiling the source code of dcreanal2.
>The binary appears to work w/o any debugging. Somehow the binary
>distribution does not have dcreanal2, and the existing 'dcreanal' is
>not from dcreanal2. (We have V5.6F on a Solaris system.)
>
>So my problem seems to be solved. The netcdf file I created happens to
>be recognizable by dcreanal2 (while I was only trying to make it work with
>original dcreanal).
>
>On my testing data, I removed the time dimension after seeing warning
message of ' .... too many dimensions ....'. After looking into the source