20021011: ACARS Decoder

>From: Bernd Kunz <address@hidden>

>Dear Sirs,
>we are interested in information on decoders for use with ACARS on
>Unidata-supplied application packages
>and information about your applications.
>
>We are looking for linux software for decoding and reporting ACARS-data.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Best regards
>
>ASPIA GmbH
>Bernd Kunz
>Germany

Bernd,

ACARS data available from FSL/NOAA is in NetCDF format.
The data has redistribution restrictions.

I have provided a decoder dcacars in the GEMPAK distribution
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak
for decoding the NetCDF files into GEMPAK format (Linux is supported).
In order to use the decoder, you would have to obtain data files
from FSL.

As you may know, the ACARS data from FSL may be interrupted due to funding
constraints. For more information on the ACARS data from FSL, see:
http://acweb.fsl.noaa.gov/

Steve Chiswell