20021022: 20021015: gempak install

>From: William C Klein <address@hidden>

>Notes below:
>
>On Tue, 15 Oct 2002, Unidata Support wrote:
>
>> >From: William C Klein <address@hidden>
>>
>> >What's next for me then?
>>
>> If you want to set up the decoders for realtime data see:
>> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/packages/gempak/GEMPAK5.6/configuration.html
>> make your data & log directories under your ~ldm/data/gempak tree
>> (as defined in your pqact.conf file).
>>

>I've set up the sepeart pqact.gempak file.  Is there an advantage to doing
>so?  If so, then where should this be placed?  Can it just reside in the
>$NAWIPS/ldm/etc/ directory?

You may find it easier to upgrade a separate pqact.gempak file,
and running a separate pqact process for this file,
or you can just import its contents into your pqact.conf file.
The most frequently changed sections would be the nwx actions for
filing the bulletins for the text browser.

Placing the file in ~ldm/etc would be fine.

If you use both pqact.conf and pqact.gempak, your ldmd.conf
file would execute two instances of pqact in the "exec" lines,
exec    "pqact"
#
# Exec GEMPAK specific pqact processing
exec    "pqact /usr/local/ldm/etc/pqact.gempak

>> After setting your NAWIPS and GEMDATA environmental variables in
>> the Gemenvioron file, source the Gemenviron settings into your csh
>> environronment (either through the command line, or in your .cshrc file)
>> with "source path/Gemenviron".
>>

>Should the "source path/Gemenviron" be in everyone's (who is using GEMPAK)
>.cshrc file?

Yes, this will allow their environment to obtain the GEMPAK environmental
variables, as well as add the $GEMEXE directory to their $PATH.
You should place the "source path/Gemenviron" at the end of the .cshrc
so that the $GEMEXE directory is appended to the end of $PATH.

>> Launch NTL by typing "ntl", this provides a launcher bar for the gui applica
> tions
>> and sets up the GEMPAK color mapping for the X server in 8 bits. If your X s
> erver is
>> running under 8 bit pseudo color, you should launch NTL before other applica
> tions.
>> If you are short of colors, you can reduce the number of colors that are res
> erved
>> through ntl such as "ntl -s 32" which will useonly 32 colors for satellite i
> mages
>> instead of the normal 95 colors. If you are running under 24 bit TrueColor,
> then
>> colors are not a problem.
>>

>Will I have to set this up on all the workstations that will be running
>GEMPAK then?

Yes, The user account runs NTL which provides a small launcher bar of icons for
launching GUIs. If they are running the command line programs, they will
share their color environment among all gempak programs as long as NTL is
running
on that DISPLAY.

>Thanks,
>Bill