20021114: oabsfc, first guess and sfparm=pany

Christian,

To use a first guess field, the parameter name must exist in
the grid file as it is being gridded in the surface file.
Since you are gridding PANY from the surface file, you need a
pressure grid of "PANY" in your grid file. You can use the gddiag
program to rename the grid with GFUNC=PMSL and GRDNAM=PANY.

You may also need to specify the gdattim fully in the GUESS parameter,
eg GUESS=file*021114/0000f000

Steve Chiswell

>From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Christian_Pag=E9?= <address@hidden>

>Hi,
>
>I am trying to do a Barnes surface analysis using sfparm=pany but with
>a first guess file using model data.
>The problem is that it seems that for first guess, using sfparm=pany
>doesn't work. I must use pany because in Europe altm is used to report
>mean sea-level pressure (except pmsl for buoys and boats). In oabsfc,
>using sfparm=pmsl doesn't work because oabsfc doesn't find enough data
>in the surface file (but first guess data is found), while using
>sfparm=altm (or pany) is not working because oabsfc doesn't find the
>first guess data... Here is the output:
>
>(avn.grid has been create with oagrid the same way europe_surf.grid
>file was created)
>
>246 [/io/httpd/gempak/ff] % gdbiint
>  GDFILE    Grid file                         2002111400_avn201.gem
>  GDOUTF    Output grid file                  avn.grid
>  GFUNC     Scalar grid                       pmsl
>  GLEVEL    Grid level                        0
>  GVCORD    Grid vertical coordinate          none
>  GDATTIM   Grid date/time                    all
  GDNUM     Grid numbers