20021210: Updated codes for dcshef and data reading

Art,

I'll look at your code for the 5.6.i release.

There shouldn't be any problems making changes to dcshef
since Peggy Bruehl who wrote the program while at COMET
is no longer there, and nobody else has ever made updates
since.

I will have to be careful with the bridge routines since these
are part of NCEPs operational decoders, but what you propose
sounds like a good idea.

Steve Chiswell