20030114: COMET dataset configuration for Garp

Jay,

Before diving in too far, make sure you can plot the surface file
using sfmap, just to verify that you did not corrupt the file
on download such as would happen if you FTP'd without using the
"bin" command to transfer the file in binary mode.

The Garp_defaults.old file is the configuration file as provided
by COMET. The Garp_defaults file I distribute matches the
Gemenviron and pqact.conf settings I provide for realtime data
from our IDD and directory structure to match the datatype.tbl
template file used by the other GEMPAK programs, NMAP etc.

The COMET config file hardcodes GARPHOME. and expects the environmental
variable METDAT to point to the data tree (instead of GEMDATA),
and at the bottom of the file you will find that the template strings
are not set for Y2K file naming, rather just YYMMDD indead of
YYYYMMDD, so you should verify that you have the correct file naimg to match
the template as well.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support