20030203: WCMP plotting in time seris cross section

Jay,

I put together a sounding set for testing a time series cross section
using wcmp, hght as the vertical coordinate as you have. This
worked for me (see attatched figure where red lines are SNPARM=sped,
and yellow are SNPARM=wcmp$90).

This was an unmerged sounding file (as dcuair would create).

Perhaps it would be useful for you to send me your data file,
or you could check that you are indeed looking at a new gif file
and not an old one (recall, GF will increment a counter
and add the number as an extension to the name so as not to
overwrite a previous file). Try using a new file name....and
verify that you are running gpend....checking the timestamp
on the resultant file.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From address@hidden Wed Jan 29 19:37:53 2003
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 19:37:47 -0700 (MST)
>From: "Jason C. Shafer" <address@hidden>
>Subject: Re: 20030128: Gempak - Unix - WCMP and WNML Problems
>To: address@hidden
>Cc: address@hidden

Hi Steve,

    Thanks for your help thusfar. I'm still having some problems, though...

>Are you referring to the contours not changing with the $xxx angle, or the
>the wind barbs? The vectors plotted always represent DRCT and SPED (SKNT)
>as defined in $GEMPAK/source/programs/sn/sncross/snswwe.f.

   I'm referring to the contour values not changing with the $xxx angle. The
wind barbs are plotting fine. I just tried running it with 5.6h a few times, and
had the same problem with wcmp equivalent to uwnd regardless of what angle I
used. Could it have something to do with me generating a time-height section for
one station instead of a cross section? Here's the nuts and bolts of it:

 sncross<<EOF

 CXSTNS   = sac
 SNPARM   = wcmp$70
 SNFILE   = $soundfile1
 DATTIM   = 000212/0000-000212/1200
 VCOORD   = hght
 PTYPE    = lin
 YAXIS    = 0/8000/1000
 TAXIS    = R
 LINE     = 1//2
 BORDER   = 1//3
 CINT     = 3
 WIND     = bk1/1.2
 TITLE    = 1/-1/ Cross Frontal Wind - SAC
 PANEL    = 0
 DEVICE   = gf|../figures/sac_test.gif|.7;.8
 CLEAR    = no
 FILTER   = 1.0
 TEXT     = 1.3/23//hw
 CURVE    = 2
 CLRBAR   =
 CONTUR   = 7
 FINT     = 3/0
 FLINE    =
 CTYPE    =

run

Are there any other tricks that we might have to play? Thanks for your help!

-Jay

>To: "Jason Shafer" <address@hidden>
>Cc: address@hidden
>Subject: 20030128: Gempak - Unix - WCMP and WNML Problems
>Date: Wed, 29 Jan 2003 15:49:03 -0700
>From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
>
>>From: "Jason Shafer" <address@hidden>
>
>>Institution: University of Utah /
>>Package Version: 5.4 and 5.6d
>>Operating System: Unix
>>Hardware Information: Sun ?
>>Inquiry: Hi,
>>
>>   In sncross, both with versions 5.4 and 5.6d, I am not able to compute the s
>> nparms wcmp and wnml. To my best knowlegde, my notation is correction, (e.g.
>> snparm = wcmp$162 - for the wind component towards 162 degrees), but all I'm
>> getting is the uwnd and vwnd for wcmp and wnml, respectively. It does not mat
>> ter what I put in the angle! Thanks for your time.
>>
>>                              Sincerely,
>>                                -Jay
>>

>Jay,
>
>Using the current distribution of 5.6.h,
>I ran the following for today's 12Z upperair in sncross:
>
> CXSTNS   = dnr;ddc;lzk;bna;gso
> SNPARM   = wcmp$180
> SNFILE   = uair
> DATTIM   = 1200
> VCOORD   = pres
> PTYPE    = log
> YAXIS    = 1020/100//1;1;0
> TAXIS    = R--3;2;2;1
> LINE     = 4
> BORDER   = 3/1/1
> CINT     =
> WIND     = bm6
> TITLE    = 0
> PANEL    = 0
> DEVICE   = xw
> CLEAR    = y
> FILTER   = yes
> TEXT     = 1/1/1/sw
> CURVE    =
> CLRBAR   =
> CONTUR   = 21
> FINT     = .01;2
> FLINE    =
> CTYPE    =
>

>and
>
>SNPARM = wnml$90.
>

>Both appear to be correct for the plotted contours.
>
>In particular, I'm looking at nearly east to west wind barbs over DDC at
>250 mb (barbs of U and V show 40 knots), while the contoured values of SNPARM
>are close to 0.
>
>Are you referring to the contours not changing with the $xxx angle, or the
>the wind barbs? The vectors plotted always represent DRCT and SPED (SKNT)
>as defined in $GEMPAK/source/programs/sn/sncross/snswwe.f.
>
>Steve Chiswell

Jason Shafer
Graduate Research Assistant
University of Utah-Dept of Meteorology
135 S 1460 E WBB Rm. 819
Salt Lake City, UT 84112-0110

Phone: 801-585-1412
Fax:   801-581-4362
http://www.met.utah.edu/jimsteen/jshafer

303 497 8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
Unidata WWW Service                        http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/