20030520: Gempak - IRIX64 - How GEMPAK computes height from pressure with sounding data?

>From: "Christian =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Pag=E9?=" <address@hidden>

>Institution: UQAM
>Package Version: 5.6.J
>Operating System: IRIX64
>Hardware Information: SGI
>Inquiry: Hi,
>
>I need to know how GEMPAK computes the height from pressure data and vice-vers
> a when it decodes WMO radiosondes data. I tried to look into the source code
> but didn't find where it was done.
>
>Christian Pagé
>UQAM

Christian,

For mandatory levels where height is reported, the only conversion that is done
is to unpack the abbreviated form according the reporting level such as in
$GEMPAK/source/bridge/ua/uaprht.f. The levels in the bulletin follow
standard coding practices for the way in which the height is abbreviated.

For significant wind levels, the height above ground is part of the report.

When merging levels with significant temperature levels where height is not
reported, the you can refer to the gemlib routine mrintz.f.

Steve Chiswell