Re: 20030701:GEMPAK NIDS display

Steve,

On Tue, 1 Jul 2003, Unidata Support wrote:

>Following up on our converastion last week regarding obtaining a lat/lon
>mapping of a NIDS product:

[snip]

>So, this is all readily done using simple tools. But, I would believe that
>the real solution would be to create a "nex2gini" that would write the
>GEOtiff directly (since it knows the projection and values). If this
>is what you need, I can create that tool as a one step process.

WOW!  That is outstanding!  I will try out the procedure you outlined.
What you explained should be much faster than my current methodology.  I
would think the community would love such functionality...

As a suggestion, you could support GIF and straight TIFF output as well by
writting a simple world file.  Just name it filename.gifw (filename.tifw)
along with the filename.gif (filename.tif).  The contents of the world
file are simply six lines (don't include comments)...

       0.0084      # x pixel spacing
        0.00000    # false easting? (usually zero?)
        0.00000    # false northing? (usually zero?)
       -0.0084     # y pixel spacing (usually negative)
      -98.0350     # upper left x origin
       45.0000     # upper left y origin

>As a dataset for a server, if you were to use nex2gini to create a single
>composite mosaic for the entire country, then selecting the appropriate
>region from the larger image for the display product would be straight forward.

This is actually handled by the GIS system, in my case, mapserver!

Wow, this is cool and fast (aka GEMPAK)!   :)

Thanks,
  Daryl

--
/**