20030707: Gempak5.6j/Garp_installation

Issa,

I see you are compiling under Linux. It appears from your make.out that your
gmake did not create the executables and library directories. You likely need to
do the following:

cd $NAWIPS
make INSTALLDIRS
make everything

(make is supposed to use the .INIT command in $NAWIPS/Makefile, but it appears
that Linux is broken in this regard).

On Thu, 3 Jul 2003, Issa Soule wrote:

> Hello Steven,
>
> I am installing the Unidata version of Gempak5.6j on a linux platform; I
> have also downloaded ldm-6.0.5 to capture incoming data. Could you
> provide some clarification how to:
>
> 1- link the GEMPAK "dc" decoders into ~ldm/decoders directory?
> the GEMPAK decoders are in GEMPAK/source and the file ~ldm/decoders
> cannot be found.

You can either create symbolic links or hard links, or copy the GEMPAK decoders
into an ~ldm/decoders directory. I suggest that location since the LDM will use
relative paths in the pqact.conf file (unless a full path is specified),
so that you can simple use "decoders/dcmetr" for example, instead of
the full path /home/gempak....../bin/linux/dcmetr".
Also, I provide sample pqact.conf entries in the GEMPAK distribution under
$NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates, which use the relative path to the LDM account
to make that more generic to distribute.

as the LDM administrator:

% cd ~ldm
% mkdir decoders
% cd decoders
% ln -s $GEMEXE/dc* .

> 2- set up the N-GARP and Garp?

see below

> 3- which steps required to have the software GEMPAK digest the Canadian
> GEM model data?

Assuming you have ~ldm/decoders/dcgrib2 linked to the GEMPAK executable of
dcgrib2, the CMC/GEM feed example I provide to decode the data that you
are sending to Universities on the IDD is:

#
# CMC Model data available via IDD
CMC     CMC_GEM_reg
        PIPE    decoders/dcgrib2 -v 1 -d data/gempak/logs/dcgrib_cmc.log
        -e GEMTBL=@GEMTBL@
#
#

In the above, the pattern "CMC_GEM_reg" matches the product names
in the LDM queue, the @GEMTBL@ string should be replaced by the
path to your $GEMPAK/tables directory. I provide a script
$NAWIPS/ldm/etc/gen_pqact.csh which uses your GEMTBL and GEMPAK
environmental variables to replace those strings in the provided template
files and generate sample pqact.conf entries.

The decoder will use the file name templates in $GEMTBL/grid/gribkey.tbl
to automatically name the output file:
    data/gempak/model/YYYYMMDDHH_cmcreg.gem

(The CMC/GEM data will match the model center 054, model number 036 to
arrive at the above output file name).

In the $NAWIPS/Gemenviron file, 2 environmental variables "MODEL" and "HDS"
are defined which should point to your ~ldm/data/gempak/model directory.
These variables are used by GEMPAK to find your data.

Once you have the grib data stored in a GEMPAK grid file, Garp will
provide the data as "CMC GEM" under the gridded data pull down.

The $GARPHOME/config/Garp_defaults file defines:
modelkeys  : "grid file names....,cmc,....."
modellabels: "model list...,CMC GEM,...."

When you select "CMC GEM", Garp will scan the $HDS directory for any file that
has the string "cmc" in the name.

There is another table $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl which defines:
CMC          $MODEL                    YYYYMMDDHH_cmcreg.gem   ....etc.......
therefore CMC will match files of the pattaren $MODEL/YYYYMMDDHH_cmcreg.gem.
The datatype.tbl file is used by the commend line programs and the rest of the
GUI programs like NMAP2 and NSHARP.

NSHARP will provide CMC under the "Load" --> "model soundings" --> "Select
Model" pull down widgets.

The NMAP2 gui will need you to define which model products are valid for the
"cmc" model. In the $GEMTBL/nmap/mod_res.tbl file are functions that are used to
produce various products. Add "cmc" to the list of the various products
that you wish this model to be plotted for.

> I am including my make.out file for your review.  Thanks.
>
> Issa

If you need further help, let me know.

Steve Chiswell
address@hidden