20030723: using the postscript device

>From: <address@hidden>

>Steve,
>
>I fixed the Xlib error, and am able to see graphics on the X window using the
> xw for my device.  Now to my understanding thats all the xw is used for is ju
> st viewing the graph and if I wanted to print the graph I would use device=ps
>  to print it.  Well when I change my device to ps everything runs great no er
> rors, but it doesn't print anything and I cant see anything.  So I guess my q
> uestion is how do I print out the graphs I see in the X window either using t
> he ps to print is or a command to print the x window.
>
>Also I am still having problems with being able to scroll back and see all my
> data.  How would I change the konsole to show more lines.
>
>thanks,
>Dusty

As described in the device driver section of the tutorial, when you are using
a device that writes to a file (such as PS, GIF, or GF), those devices
will stay open so that you can overlay output from multiple programs or
invocations. Use the GPEND command to close down the device driver and flush
the
graphics to the file.

If you are using DEVICE=ps, the default name will be ps.plt, but you can
specify that
(see "phelp device") name to what ever you like. More generally:
DEVICE=ps|myfile.ps|11;8.5|C

After running and exiting your program (such as SNCROSS), type
gpend at the unix/linux prompt. Your output file will
then be complete and can be sent to a postscript printer.

As for scrolling back in a window, I would suggest using an xterm instead of
an OS specific program like KDE or GNOME Kons... in linux.

In an xterm, (you can see the instructions using "man xterm"), you can specify
to be able to scroll back 1000 lines with:

xterm -sb -sl 1000

eg:

          -sb     This option indicates that some number of lines that
                  are scrolled off the top of the window should be
                  saved and that a scrollbar should be displayed so
                  that those lines can be viewed.  This option may be
                  turned on and off from the ``VT Options'' menu.

          -sl number
                  This option specifies the number of lines to save
                  that have been scrolled off the top of the screen.
                  The default is 64.

Steve CHiswell