20030731: Gempak - Solaris 8 - Error viewing satellite imagery

James,

GEMPAK does support McIDAS 2 byte images. Use the GEMPAK program
"arinfo" instead of the old UPC program areaInfo to dump out information
about the files.

Your problem is likely that there are no entries in $GEMTBL/sat/imgtype.tbl
for 2 byte GOES-12 images since the GOES-12 platform is new. You will
see there are 2 byte entries for GOES-8,9,10 that you can copy. (eg,
those entries with the pixel depth column equal to 2).

Steve Chiswell