20030917: Gempak - Red Hat Linux - Converting SAO data into gempak format

>From: "Allison Hoggarth" <address@hidden>

>Institution: North Carolina State University
>Package Version: 5.6
>Operating System: Red Hat Linux
>Hardware Information: Dell Workstation 400
>Inquiry: Hello!  I have some archived .SAO files that I would like to view in
> the gempak program sfmap, however, I cannot figure out how to convert the .SA
> O files into a gemfile so that I can view them.  Since I am using gempak vers
> ion 5.6, I know that will probably need to use dcmetr, but other then that I
> am not sure where to go.  I was wondering if someone might know the exact cod
> e that I would need to use to convert .SAO files into gempak form.  Thanks fo
> r you help!

If the data files are archived without modifying from their original format,
you can use dcmetr and specify the data of the data using the -c option.

If your archive has stripped out the transmission characters that separate
the individual bulletins, then you need to replace the delimeters, eg:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/msgout?/glimpse/gempak/5299
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/msgout?/glimpse/gempak/5282

Steve Chiswell