20030923: nex2img stuff

Daryl (and Kevin),

1) The Unidata release can be downloaded as source or binary from our web site.
I would have to double check in linking against the NCEP distribution as
to the specific error (you may have a problem with a different IMGDEF.CMN).
Here is the particulars I sent to Gregg Groshans:

Gregg,

You can get the distribution via the web. If you are running Linux,
then the easiest way would be to grab the binary and take the programs
from bin/linux. Also, you will need the $GEMTBL/unidata directory for
nex2image to place the appropriate platformID and calibration numbers in
the GINI header (Also grab the entries from $GEMTBL/sat/imgtype.tbl and
the color enhancements from $GEMTBL/luts mentioned in the imgtype.tbl file).

With NCEP's plotting, you won't get a calibration bar for the images.
Our distribution has additional code to create image calibration bars.

As for 2), A composite of radial velocity is not really meaningful.
It is only the radial component. The tangential wind is not provided.
This is not a dual-doppler analysis - which can be done with the
level II data-- NIDS images are just data bins. You could estimate
U & V components along the bisection of the overlap regeion, but otherwise
would be indeterminant (note that "away" values from one radar would be
"toward" values in an adjacent image.

Since I have to create my status reports for user and policy committees this
week, your comments are welcomed and well timed.

Steve Chiswell