Re: 20030924:GEMPAK GIF white background

Hi Donna,

(jweber) lenny:/home/jweber 149 % snprof
 SNFILE    Sounding data file                $GEMDATA/HRCBOB.SND
 DATTIM    Date/time                         LAST
 AREA      Data area                         WV
 SNPARM    Sounding parameter list           ;TMPC;;HGHT;DWPC;BRBM
 LINE      Color/type/width/label/smth/fltr  3
 PTYPE     Plot type/h:w ratio/margins       LOG
 VCOORD    Vertical coordinate type          PRES
 STNDEX    Stability indices                 SHOW
 STNCOL    Stability index color             1
 WIND      Wind symbol/siz/wdth/typ/hdsz     BM1
 WINPOS    Wind position                     1
 MARKER    Marker color/type/size/width/hw   0
 BORDER    Background color/type/width       1
 TITLE     Title color/line/title            1
 DEVICE    Device|name|x size;y size|color   XW
 YAXIS     Ystrt/ystop/yinc/lbl;gln;tck
 XAXIS     Xstrt/xstop/xinc/lbl;gln;tck
 FILTER    Filter data factor                YES
 CLEAR     Clear screen flag                 YES
 PANEL     Panel loc/color/dash/width/regn   0
 TEXT      Size/fnt/wdth/brdr/N-rot/just/hw  1
 THTALN    THTA color/dash/width/mn/mx/inc   0
 THTELN    THTE color/dash/width/mn/mx/inc   0
 MIXRLN    MIXR color/dash/width/mn/mx/inc   0
 Parameters requested: SNFILE,DATTIM,AREA,SNPARM,LINE,PTYPE,VCOORD,STNDEX,
 STNCOL,WIND,WINPOS,MARKER,BORDER,TITLE,DEVICE,YAXIS,XAXIS,FILTER,CLEAR,
 PANEL,TEXT,THTALN,THTELN,MIXRLN.

---

GEMPAK-SNPROF>help border
      BORDER

      BORDER is the color, line type and line width of the background and
      underground plot separated with slashes:

                background color; station line color; fill color/
                background line type; station line type /
                background line width; station line width

      If the color is 0, no background will be drawn.  The defaults for
      color, line type and line width are each 1.

-----

So, depending on your device output:

GEMPAK-SNPROF>help colors
      COLORS

      COLORS specifies a list of color numbers which must be separated
      using semicolons:

                color 1 ; color 2 ; ... ; color n

      The last color in the list will be repeated, if necessary, to
      determine all colors required by the program.

      Colors may be entered as a range in the form: first-last-increment.
      If the increment is not entered, 1 is assumed.

      Color-coding of any parameter may be done based on its own value or
      on the value of any other computable parameter.  There is a one-to-
      one correspondence between the elements in the color list and the
      elements in the parameter list (e.g., SFPARM).  To color-code any
      parameter, replace its corresponding color number in the COLORS
      list with the form:

        (v1;v2;...;vN-1/c1;c2;...;cN/PARM/E)   or
        (v1-vN-1-vInc/c1-cN-cInc/PARM/E)       or
        a combination of a list and a range

      where the v's are parameter values, the c's are color numbers, and
      PARM is the parameter whose value determines the color.  If PARM
      is omitted, the parameter will be color-coded based on its own value.
      The number of values must be one less than the number of colors.  If
      a value range is used, an increment must be specified.  If a color
      range is used and no increment is specified, 1 is assumed.  For
      example, to color-code a marker based on the 3-hour flash flood
      guidance value, the color element corresponding to the parameter
      MARK could be specified as:

        (0.5;1;1.5;2;3/2;19;21;22;6;4/FF03)

      meaning that values less than or equal to .5 inch would be plotted
      with color 2, values greater than .5 but less than or equal to 1
      would be plotted with color 19, etc.

      The E is a flag to indicate whether to include the break value with
      the lower range or the upper range of values. Valid values are L
      and U, respectively. The default is L for inclusion in the lower
      range of values. In the above example, the first data range is
      X <= 0.5, the second is 0.5 < X <= 1.0, etc. If the U flag is added,
      the ranges change to X < 0.5, 0.5 <= X < 1.0, etc.

      If the input is blank, a default of 1 is used.  If a color number
      of 0 is entered, that parameter or line will not be plotted.
     New color assignments may be made by appending the following commands
      to the color number:

        =INIT   --      all colors are initialized to device-dependent
                        colors

        =NAME   --      this color number is set to the color specified
                        in NAME

        =r:g:b  --      this color number is set using RGB components in
                        r, g, and b which must be separated using colons.
                        These components must be in the range 0 - 255.

      Note that only =INIT may be appended to a range.

      Color number 101 is the background color.

      Note that the GIF driver does not accept NAME.

      The following colors are the default colors for the given devices:

            XW,NC   PS,PSP      PSC     GEMPAK NAMES    X COLOR NAMES

            1                   31      VANILLA         bisque1
            2                   2       RED             red
            3                   3       GREEN           green
            4                   4       BLUE            blue
            5                   5       YELLOW          yellow
            6                   6       CYAN            cyan
            7                   7       MAGENTA         magenta
            8                   8       BROWN           sienna3
            9                   9       CORAL           sienna1
            10                  10      APRICOT         tan1
            11                  11      PINK            LightPink1
            12                  12      DKPINK          IndianRed1
            13                  13      MDVIOLET        firebrick2
            14                  14      MAROON          red4
            15                  15      FIREBRICK       red3
            16                  16      ORRED           OrangeRed2
            17                  17      ORANGE          DarkOrange1
            18                  18      DKORANGE        orange3
            19                  19      GOLD            gold1
            20                  20      DKYELLOW        yellow2
            21                  21      LWNGREEN        chartreuse1
            22                  22      MDGREEN         green3
            23                  23      DKGREEN         green4
            24                  24      GRPBLUE         DodgerBlue4
            25                  25      LTBLUE          DodgerBlue1
            26                  26      SKY             DeepSkyBlue2
            27                  27      MDCYAN          cyan2
            28                  28      VIOLET          MediumPurple3
            29                  29      PURPLE          purple2
            30                  30      PLUM            magenta4
            31                  32      WHITE           white
            32      1           1       BLACK           black
                    2                   G95             gray95
                    3                   G90             gray90
                    4                   G85             gray85
                    5                   G80             gray80
                    6                   G75             gray75
                    7                   G70             gray70
                    8                   G65             gray65
                    9                   G60             gray60
                    10                  G55             gray55
                    11                  G50             gray50
                    12                  G45             gray45
                    13                  G40             gray40
                    14                  G35             gray35
                    15                  G30             gray30
                    16                  G25             gray25
                    17                  G20             gray20
                    18                  G15             gray15
                    19                  G10             gray10
                    20                  G05             gray5

      On the color devices, colors 8 through 30 will provide a range of
      colors from brown to red to orange to yellow to green to blue to
violet.
      On the Postscript device, 20 gray shades are used.

If this does not clear it up, please send in a copy of your script and
we'll tune it to a white background ;)

---

So perhaps a entry like:

BORDER    Background color/type/width       31/1/1

or

BORDER    Background color/type/width       32/1/1

Depending upon DEVICE (31 or 32)..and choice of line type and color */1/1
which you will probably want to change for the white background....

Cheers,

Jeff