20040311: VAD display program available

Gempak users,

I have created a new program GPVAD to display the VAD (NVW) NEXRAD
level III wind profile products.

I placed 2 files out on the download/gempak/contrib site (so far),
a source and a Linux binary (compiled under Fedora Core 1 gcc 3.3.2):
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewsdownload&sid=9

See below for installation information if you are interested.

I will include this program in the next general release.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

To install the Linux binary, download the tarfile to your $NAWIPS
directory and unpack from there with:
gunzip -c gpvad_linux.tar.gz | tar xvf -

To build from source, unpack the source code tar file from $NAWIPS:
gunzip -c gpvad.tar.gz | tar xvf -

Then build with:
cd $NAWIPS/unidata/programs/gpvad
make clean
make all
make install
make clean

Run the program as "gpvad".

To specify a NEXRAD Level III file, you can either give RADFIL
the name, or use a template.

To use the NEXRIII template as defined in $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl,
as an example,

RADFIL =  NEXRIII|ILX|NVW
RADTIM =  current
WIND   =  bk1
TITLE  =  1/-2/ILX VAD DISPLAY ~
PANEL  =  0
DEVICE =  XW
CLEAR  =  y
TEXT   =  1/1/1/hw
CLRBAR =  1/v/cl/.05;.5/.3;.01
GEMPAK-GPVAD>

The NEXRIII template uses %SITE% = ILX and %PROD% = NVW
in composing the file template in this example. NVW is the
only valid %PROD% value.

See online help "phelp gpvad" for more info.