From: Unidata Support [mailto:address@hidden]
Sent: Monday, June 07, 2004 12:32 PM
To: Tom Green
Cc: address@hidden
Subject: 20040607: Adding labels to existing contours in NMAP

Tom,

The countours do not need to be closed. However, they do need to have a
label which you can do by grouping the text object of the value and
the countour line within a group of LABEL.

The current version of NMAP2 is 5.7.2, which has a little better
interface to grphgd. Under the "Help" button in NMAP2 you will
find discussed in graph-to-grid the following:

   To generate contours, invoke NMAP and enter product generation.
    Contours are defined as a simple solid line grouped with a numeric
    text value using 'LABEL' grouping.  The label may be located anywhere.
    Any number of equal-valued labels may be grouped with any number of
lines.
    When drawing, labeling and grouping have been completed, a text file
    containing the geographical contour coordinates must be created.  Click
    'PROD' then 'GRAPH GRID'.  A popup will appear with cycle and forecast
    time information which may be edited.  Clicking "Advanced..." enables
the
    user to assign or modify the parameter information as well as the
    computational grid information.  Clicking "Show Extensions" displays
    virtual lines extending from contours which are not closed.  These lines
    must not cross each other within the bounds of the computational grid.

The note about "Show Extensions" is important for your contours that aren't
closed.

Steve Chiswell

>From: Tom Green <address@hidden>

>  To Whom It May Concern:
>
>I have been working with NMAP (Version 5.6.d.1) and creating isopleths
>in the Product Generation mode using the contour button found in the
>upper-left corner of Lines-Objects.  When initially creating a contour,
>the fields that may be modified for a particular line include
>filled/closed contours and a label field.  When I created all of my
>isopleths, I was not using filled or closed contours, and I also was not
>attaching labels to my contours.  Since then, I have realized that the
>best way to manipulate my finished graphics is to use grphgd to convert
>my fields to gridded data.  Grphgd requires contours to be both closed
>and labelled.  I have discovered that I can simply close my contours by
>modifying the line and clicking on 'closed,' which simply connects the
>two ends of my contours.  However, I am unaware of how I might attach a
>label to these contours.  So far, the only way I know of to remedy the
>problem is to literally copy over all my current contours with new
contours that are both closed and labelled.  If there is any way for me
>to attach a label to a pre-existing contour, I would be extremely
>grateful for your help.  Thank you for your time.
>
>Tom Green
>
>--
>Tom Green
>Graduate Research Assistant
>Department of Marine, Earth, and Atmospheric Sciences
>North Carolina State University
>Raleigh, NC

<
<
(303)497-8643                                                  P.O. Box 3000
<
<
<
Unidata WWW Service              http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/support