20040714: problem of Radar data

Ying,

The radar files I provide in the FNEXRAD data feed for RADAR in
png compressed GINI format are processed using the FNEXRAD action
as shown in $NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates/pqact.gempak_images as:

# FNEXRAD Composite RADAR products
#
# png compressed 1km radar GINI format
FNEXRAD ^rad/NEXRCOMP/(...)/(...)_(........)_(....)
        FILE    -close  data/gempak/images/sat/NEXRCOMP/\1/\2/\2_\3_\4

GEMPAK will display these products in their native format. This
includes the 1km national reflectivity mosaic, the 2km 1 hour precip
mosaic, and the 4km storm total precip mosaic. These are the files you should
be placing in the NEXRCOMP directory for GEMPAK.

The files you mention below are the McIDAS AREA files that Tom yoksas is
creating from the gridded products I provide in FNEXRAD. You will have to
process these with the ldm-mcidas decoder pnga2area.  You can place these in the
NEXRCOMP directory if you use the correct GEMPAK naming conventions like:
NEXRCOMP/1KMBREF/1KMBREF_YYYYMMDD_HHNN etc.
But in general, the GINI files I mentioned above would be smaller, and higher
resolution than the 6km and 10km products.

Alternatively, the GEMPAK actions I provide will decode the 6km and 10km grib
products into grid files for use in GEMPAK.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support