20040721: Selecting the latest satellite image

Nancy,

The best way to store the files for GEMPAK is to use the
X_YYYYMMDD_HHNN format ao that the GUI programs can find
the data as well as your scripts. Examples are provided
in the $NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates/pqact.gempak_images file.

To select the latest GOES10 IR file in a directory following
the $SAT naming convention hierarchy, you could do:

(csh example)
cd $SAT/GOES-10/4km/IR
set LATEST=`ls | tail -1`

Then use the variable $LATEST in your script for the input to the
GEMPAK SATFIL parameter.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support