20040813: Adding a subroutine

Jimmy,

To modify OABSFC to local design,
the best solution is to copy the entire contents of the
$GEMPAK/source/programs/oa/oabsfc to a new directory (preferably outside
of the GEMPAK tree so that you don't have to worry about deleting
it if you remove the current distribution when you install
a new distribution).

I would suggest the following when working in your new directory:
- Rename the oabsfc.f to a new name like oabtau.f
- Edit the oabtau.f file so that the references to OABSFC are replaced with
OABTAU
   In particular, change the IP_IDNT call so that the program looks
   for the $GEMHLP, $GEMERR, $GEMPTXT, $GEMPARM and $GEMPDF files as oabtau
   instead of oabsfc
- You will need to create copies of the GEMERR, GEMHLP and GEMPDF for your
  OABTAU. Ideally, you would create a oabtau.txt, oabtau.err and oabtar.prm
  file and generate the oabtau.hlp and oabtau.pdf using the
$GEMPAK/utilities/hlpbld
  and pdfbld programs respectively. But, for working sake, you just need to
  edit the oabtau.pdf copied from oabsfc.pdf. The pdf file is what is used
  to tell the program what parameters to display in the interface for
  the user to set values for. If you wanted the user to be able to
  get help for "tau" then you would create help files in $GEMHLP/hlx
  for the tau.hl1 and tau.hl2

- Edit the Makefile in you oabtau directory and rename the "oabsfc" occurences
to oabtau (eg the ALIB, PROG, PROG.f entries).

Now you can edit the code as necessary and build with "make all" and
install with "make install". You can build anywhere on your system so long as
you have
sourced the Gemenviron variables so that the libraries are found.

Steve Chiswell