Re: 20041027: 20041027: huge gempak files

Hi Steve,

    cpyfil worked like a dream.  I'm an idiot not to have seen that myself.

    You might already know this, but gdplot2 is unable to handle multiple input files, e.g. gdfile = file1 + file2.  Gdplot handled multiple input files, and also plotted the panel outline box perfectly.

Thanks for all your help, Dorothy.

Unidata Support wrote:
Dorothy,

To create a file with the same navigation information, use
gdcfil and set CPYFIL="your_existing_file".

This will create your new file. Then use GDMOD as I mentioned
to copy over the grids to the new file. The grid size of the
file that you are dealing with are not particularly large. However,
if they were stored in the file without using PACK, then the disk
file would be much larger. You can specify the packing in
GDMOD to reduce the size of the stored grids. This will not
affect the amount of memory you need, just disk space.

If your files are not the same navigation, then you may have different
ANLYSS settings, even though the PROJ, GAREA and KXKY are the same.
the CPYFIL method in gdcfil I outlined above will ensure that
your new file is compatible.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support