20050201: gempak background question

On Thu, 2005-01-27 at 23:21, Gerry Creager n5jxs wrote:

Gerry,

There are 2 different issues you are talking about here.

To set the background color in GEMPAK, you can copy
coltbl.xwp to your working directory and define the first color in the
table to be white instead of black. Or, you could run gpcolor
with COLORS = 101=white BEFORE running a display program.

However, this is the background of the plot. This is not
the color of the lowest level of reflectivity in the radar image!

The radar image has a value defined for ND, and this is controlled
by the color lookup table you specify with LUTFIL. By default,
the levelII reflectivity will use $GEMTBL/luts/upc_radimg.tbl.
You would need to copy that table to your working directory and
set the color lookup values from black to white. Or, define your own
color lookup table and reference it in LUTFIL instead of using
LUTFIL=default.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support