20050113: Gempak 5.7.4

>From: "address@hidden" <address@hidden>

Jon,

>I am trying to get GEMPAK up and going.  I am truely stuck.  My goal is
>to get it up and running and then display the images on the internet.
>
>The reason why i am writing you today is becasue i am stuck.  I
>download the program and untar'ed the files into home/gempak.  I
>downloaded gempak_upc5.7.4_linux.tar.gz .  How do you run the program.
>I download the binary distubution so i would have to do that much only
>because i am a new user to Linux.

The suite of GEMPAK programs is typically launched by running the 'ntl'
application.  In order for this to work, you will need to make sure
that you have followed the installation instructions in the Unidata GEMPAK
web pages (e.g., need to setup your PATH; need to define Gemenviron, etc.).
When the preliminaries are setup, you run 'ntl'.  This will put up a
small GUI selector for the various progams available in GEMPAK.
The most likely thing to start with after running ntl is NMAP2.

>I got this far
>http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/tutorial/layout2a.html
>but i have no idea how to start the program so i can't do the
>exsample.  Any help would be great!

I just looked through the first few examples in the GEMPAK tutorial
and see that they have you run individual GEMPAK programs from the
command line (I am not the GEMPAK expert at Unidata; just lending
a hand here).  Given this, when you see instructions like:

Enter sflist to get the user interface. It should look something like this:

you are being prompted to type 'sfclist' (no quotes) at the command
prompt in an xterm running in your session.

Since you note that you are new to Linux, I wonder what level of
understanding you have about things that are needed to be done before
being able to run GEMPAK.  For instance, do you understand setting
Linux environment variables?  If not, our best advise is to get a book
on Linux and become conversant with how things work before diving into
running GEMPAK.

>Thanks,

Best of luck!

>Jon Kratenstein