From address@hidden  Thu Feb  3 10:09:09 2005
Date: Thu, 03 Feb 2005 12:08:58 -0500
From: "Frank Colby" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden
Subject: segmentation faults

Dear Support,

I have just installed the latest version of Gempak on a linux machine, using the binary distribution. I unzipped, untarred the file (this is the first time Gempak has been installed on this machine), edited the Gemenviron.profile, sourced it, and was able to navigate using the symbolic names, so the sourcing worked. I then tried to run garp, and I get the main window, but as soon as I click on the "display model data" button, it crashes with a "segmentation fault", without opening the dialog box. I searched the support archives and found one similar problem, but that was for an upgrade installation, and the problem was the previous version had not been removed. Any other places I should look? It seems like this should be something very basic.....

I made some changes to the Garp_defaults file, and got some new errors -- about XMtext and fonts not supported -- do I have to do a make install for Garp, even with a binary dist.? I"m running on Redhat 9.

The other interesting thing is that surface data displays fine, and if I click on upperair data, the dialog box opens, even though there is no data.
Frank Colby
UMass Lowell