20050303: using dcgrib2 with eta 218 tiles

James,

The ETA218 grids from NOAAPORT NWSTG2 in grib2 format are whole,
as are the grids on the NWS ftp server under the
SL.us008001/ST.opnt directory. These are handled with no
trouble. If you have to stich several tiles, would
it be better to utilize the grib2 compressed (JPEG2000) data?

In general, grids can be stiched together as we do with WAFS thinned
grids, ECMWF tiles etc.using the $GEMTBL/grid/dcgrib.tbl file to define
offsets for the tiles- however all those grids in the broadcast stream
use different grid numbers to identify the tile location Eg, the WAFS grids
are grid id 37-44, where the decoder can lookup the location of
those tiles in the larger grid. I've looked at the 221 tiles, but not
218 tiles, so would need a reference to explore that option.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support