20050405: Brazil PCDs: BRBK on NMAP2

Waldenio,

Store the data as SPED (units are m/s) or SKNT (units are knts)
and DRCT, and GEMPAK will be able to plot the wind barbs by
composing the vector BRBM in m/s, or BRBK in knts).

For plotting SKYC, place that in the first position of the SFPARM
list so that it is plotted in the center of the station location. BRBK
at any other position will plot the barb out of the center sky coverage symbol.

The SKYC is computed from the maximum coverage CLCT from
low, middle and high clouds CLCx.

Generally, the METAR decoder uses $GEMTBL/pack/metar.pack to
store cloud height and coverage as a combined (aka packed) number
for CHC1, CHC2, and CHC3 as:

CHCx - Numeric combined cloud height and coverage combined as
       CLHx * 10 + CLCx, where x is the cloud report group
       number from 1 to 3.
       Examples: CHC1 = 222.
                 CHC2 = 807.
                 CHC3 = 2504
       Note: In the case when the sky is partially obscured, the
       value of 10000 is added on to the first reporting level.
       For example, if AIRWAYS report is -X M5 BKN 19 BKN,
       CHC1 would equal 10053.

See $GEMPAK/txt/apx/parms.apx for description of cloud parameters.

Your surface wil would then have parameters SPED, DRCT, CHC1, CHC2, CHC3.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support