20050509: 20050509: 20050507: nex2gini seg faults in Solaris 9/10

Robert:

The template not found message means that the program did not find the template
in your
datatype.tbl file. It is in the release as provided by me, so unless you are
maintaining
 a separate file, it should be there, unless there is a type in the file.

The default for the program is to use the $RAD/NIDS/%SITE%/%PROD% attempt if
a NEXRIII entery isn't provided in the template file.

Feeding from more than one upstream isn't a problem if both machines are
providing the
exact same MD5 checksum for a product. If however, one of the sources generated
a different
product by missing a part of the data on ingest, then the MD5 checksum would be
different.
Even worse, if your ingest system allowed bad products that had missing parts
in the product
(each NOAAPORT product is 4000 bytes max in a segment, so a N0R product could
have
8 or more pieces that have to be received by your receiver) to be sent as a
product
anyhow, the display program would definitely fail. Certainly, there is a
greater chance in
finding that bad product by nex2gini than a user running an NMAP2 loop, since
nex2gini will
likely be looking at every site that is in the desired region- as opposed to a
loop
of your local station in NMAP2 (the chances would be about 154 times greater).

When you look at a volume plot of NEXRAD data from a site receiving data from
numerous
ingestion sites:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NNEXRAD+emo.unidata.ucar.edu

you will see it is smooth, and should look the same as a single ingest site:

http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/rtstats/iddstats_vol_nc?NNEXRAD+jackie.unidata.ucar.edu

If you were receiving more bytes than a single source site, that would signal
an ingest problem.

But, befor going too far down, if you can identify a site/product that is bad,
I can
give you the number of bytes that the product should have been on ingestion (or
roughly
what you should be seeing in your disk file. If there is a discrepancy, it
might be the
cause of errors you are seeing.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support