20050516: differentiating between reports?

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 09:55, Kevin Polston wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> Hey thanks for the suggestions on the radar enhancement problem.  I did
> what you said and it does appear the problem is taken care of.  It is so
> much better to see now so thanks alot.
>
> I was working on some things this weekend and I have a question or two
> for you.  First of all.....I have never had any success getting NMAP to
> be able to display the severe weather reports. So I looked at the
> Unidata support e-mail archives......and found a message you replied to
> on how to display the reports.  So I followed the instructions you gave
> and I was able to successfully use sfmap to plot the reports.  What I
> would like to know (and hopefully it is possible) is a way to be able to
> plot the reports based on the type of report with a different symbol.
> For instance, I want to plot hail as a circle, a tornado as a triangle
> and wind reports with the "+" sign.  Can this be done?

Kevin,

$GEMTBL/config/prmlst.tbl contains:

^TORNADO | SELS
SFPARM=EVNT=1;mark:3
COLORS=0;2
FILTER=0.0
TEXT=.8/21/HW
TITLE=2//Tornado
!
^HAIL | SELS
SFPARM=EVNT=3;mark:12
COLORS=0;6
FILTER=0.0
TEXT=.8/21/HW
!
^WIND | SELS
SFPARM=EVNT=2;mark:1
COLORS=0;3
FILTER=0.0
TEXT=.8/21/HW
!
^GUST | SELS
SFPARM=EVNT=4;mark:2
COLORS=0;4
FILTER=0.0
TEXT=.8/21/HW

NMAP2 will display individual phenomena from the files decoded by dcsels
if your SELS files are found according to the SELS template in
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl. You can use the above in sfmap such as:

 AREA     = dset
 GAREA    = uslcc
 SFPARM   = hail
 DATTIM   = all
 SFFILE   = sels
 COLORS   =

The above is predicated on correctly finding your data files......

> The second thing I want to ask you is what do I need to do to get SVRL
> to plot.  Now...I believe I have everything set up correctly although
> something must not be right since I can't get it to plot.  What is more
> frustrating is I had it working before I upgraded the software the last
> time. My pqact.conf file is set up so that I am using the entry for SVRL
> from the pqact.conf example that can be generated with NAWIPS. The only
> thing I changed was the directory on where to store it. My datatype.tbl
> is set up to look for the svrl.gem file in the directory I am
> "supposedly" storing it.  The only problem is when I go to the directory
> where I am "supposedly" storing the data....there is nothing there. The
> permissions are the same as all the other sub directories so I am
> positive thats not the problem. What could I be overlooking or missing?

The WWUS6[1-6[ SLS products were terminated back in February in favor
of the WCN and WOU products,so the last decoded/files SLS file I have is
Feb 22. The WOU and WCN products will allow you to plot individual
counties in a watch, times, valid time, watch number, outline, fill etc.

The WTCH decoder allows NMAP2 to do both watch box and updates of
boxes, while the WOU and WCN give the counties included in the watch.

> My last question is how can I run a program upon receipt of data via
> ldm.  For instance once I get model data in I want to run a program
> (gdvint) to interpolate the data to 25 mb intervals.  How would I set
> that up in the pqact.conf file? I saw the examples for creating gifs
> using  EXEC in the pqact.conf  file however....I am not sure how to set
> that up in the pqact.conf with the model data. The name of the script I
> want to run for example is "create_eta_grids.csh".  If you can give me
> an example....I would appreciate it.

If you are receiving individial grid products, then knowing when you
have a complete grid set is more difficult than if you were receiving a
complete forecast time file. In the case of interpolationg to every 25
millibars, you wouldn't want to start gdvint until you have all the
grids for a specific time. If you were receiving complete files, then
the same technique as doing radar gifs would work. The complicating
factor is that you don't know when/if you received everything that you
will ever receive- so keying on a specific WMO header would likely fail
at some point.

You could decode your data to individual forecast hour files using
the FFF file name template, and run a cron that would check
for a file that is complete, eg the time stamp not changing for 5
minutes perhaps. You could key on the A-2 W MO field for the forecast
time, but probably more trouble.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support