20050609: NMAP2 and model grids

Clint,

NMAP2 uses the models listed in mod_res.tbl to come up with the list of choices
search for in th config/datatype.tbl file.

In cases where the template in datatype.tbl has an "*" character,
the pattern matched by the "*" is presented in the data selection menu
following the ":".
For the radar floater example, nexf, the station that the floater was centered
on is used
in the file name, eg
YYYYMMDD_float_nyc.gem

and the template used is
YYYYMMDDHH_float_*

so NMAP2 can present multiple menu items for floater data sets with one
mod_res.tbl item.
This is particularly useful if you had multiple floater locations chosen in a
day
(Or concurrent sectors, etc) where the center location etc is not known ahead
of time.

Its also useful for tropical storm files where the storm name/number are
identified in
the file name.

The QPF grids come from each office, so the issuing office is in the grid file
name,
and therefore used in the data selection.

You could have a template such as YYYYMMDDHH_nam* and then have one "nam" entry
in mod_res.tbl for nam, then your data sets would be NAM:211, NAM:212, NAM:212
etc. However,
this would create problems for certain nts files such as using P03I for the 211
data set,
where the data is only available at 6 hourly forecast intervals.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support