20050627: Drawing fronts using GARP?

Bob,

NMAP2 is the tool that NCEP uses operationally to create products
such as frontal analyses, watch boxes, fax charts etc.

To start with the basics, click on the "Help" button in the upper
right of NMAP2, then scroll down the list of topics to
product generation.

I also gave a basic idea of some capabilities in the tutorial, though
not specifically fronts:
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/tutorial/nmap_pgen.html
http://my.unidata.ucar.edu/content/software/gempak/tutorial/nmap_examples.html

The basics are to select the product generation palette, and then the
front class to pull up the different fronal symbols to choose from.
Once you have the drawing tool size/color/variables set, you can draw.
The actions available are shown on the bottom (center) of the display window.
To start, you generally will see "<L> Put". That means that by clicking the
left mouse button, you will place a node/vertex at that location. Then you
will continue to move your mouse to the next location you want a node/vertex
and repeat the process. You'll see that the option for "<M> Done" is shown
at the bottom of the display window. That means that you click the middle mouse
button when you are finished drawing that object.

See the Help topics above for description on modifying objects you have drawn.
Once you have finished your drawing, the "Save AS" button will let you save your
graphics as a VGF (vector graphics file) file. You can later edit this file,
etc., and objects are georeferenced for changing map projections, regions etc.

Once you have a VGF file, you can load it as a data set in the "Data Selection"
menu in NMAP2, or in GPMAP using the VGF parameter settings, which enables
you to combine your graphics with other scripts you might use to
run command line programs.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support