20051013: Gempak - dclsfc option and time of decoded data

>From: "Joseph Pietrowicz" <address@hidden>

>Institution: ZedX inc
>Package Version: GEMPAK5.8.3a
>Operating System: Linux
>Hardware Information: i386 1.5 GHz Athlon
>Inquiry: I'm have several problems with the decoder for synoptic land stations
> .
>
>1) I'm not getting non-synoptic times decoded. Only 00Z, 03Z, 06Z etc.

The dclsfc Land Surface synoptic decoder is designed to bin the data
into 3 hourly intervals internally in the $GEMPAK/source/bridge/ls/lsgemp.f
routine.
This is not configurable at runtime.

>But data in synoptic form is comming in at 01Z, 02Z, 04Z, etc.
>
>Here is the LDM configuration:
>
># Synoptic land reports
>#
>
>ANY     ^S[IM]
>        PIPE    decoders/dclsfc -v 2 -s sfworld.tbl
>        -d data/gempak/logs/dclsfc.log
>        -e GEMTBL=/home/gempak/NAWIPS/gempak/tables
>        data/gempak/syn/YYYYMMDDHH_sao.gem
>
>What do I need to change to make *.gem files for 01Z, 02Z, 04Z etc.
>
>2) The documentation for the options to run dclsfc is not clear to me.
>
> The valid options are:
>
>        -v N            Set the level of verbosity for the logs
>        -c curtim       Set the "current" time
>        -b nhours       Number of hours to decode prior to "current" time
>        -d decoder_log  Set the decoder log file name
>        -t time_out     Set the interval for the time out
>        -n              Set a flag to NOT save the text data
>        -h              Print the help file, then exit the program
>        -p prmfil       Set the parameter packing table
>        -s stntbl       Set the station table
>        -a iadstn       Set the number of additional stations
>        -m maxtim       Set the maximum number of times
>        -e PARM=value   Set the environment variable PARM to value
>

>Where can I find more information on:
>

>-c curtim
>-b nhours
>-t time_out
>-p prmfil
>-m maxtim

From the GEMPAK web page tutorial:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/tutorial/decoders2.html
under the section "Standard Decoder Options"...

 -c curtim  "curtim" is the pseudo-current time.  This is a complete
            GEMPAK format date/time (YYMMDD/HHMM) and is used as the
            system time when decoding archive data.  The default value
            for this variable for all decoders is the system time.

 -b nhours  "nhours" is the number of hours prior to the current time.
            Only reports within this time period are decoded into
            the data file.

 -t time_out  "time_out" is the time out value in seconds of the
              decoder.  If no data is received within the specified
              time limit, the program will exit.  The default time
              out value for all decoders is 600 seconds.

 -p prmfil  Set the parameter packing table to "prmfil".  See below
            for a description of the GEMPAK parameter packing tables.

 -m maxtim  Set the maximum number of times in a single data file
            to "maxtim".   The maximum times allowable in a single
            surface file in NAWIPS 5.8 is 300.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support