20051016: Opening Data

>From: "Adam Moyer" <address@hidden>

>Hi. I am a TA at Penn State University in Dynamic Meteorology and recently
>downloaded a package of models for the 1993 "Storm of the Century."
>Unfortunately, I am unable to open the files, since I don't have GEMPAK on my
>computer. Is there another program that can open a .gem file? If not, can you
>direct me to a place to download GEMPAK and an FAQ page to learn how to use
>GEMPAK. Thank you.

Adam,

Art Person in your department maintains GEMPAK and other systems, so
he may have a solution to running GEMPAK for that case study.

The location to download GEMPAK, as well as the GEMPAK tutorial is:
http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/software/gempak/

Generally the COMET case studies have raw data available as well, but since that
is the first case study, GEMPAK appears to be the only format, unless you were
obtain the observations and model grids through NCDC- and then you could use
your
package of choice.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support