20051018: Gempak - Can't run all gempak programs

Thomas,

GEMPAK is not currently supported under cygwin. It will however run if you have
the latest cygwin release with message queue funtionality that replaces the old
cygipcs2 package add on. To use the message queue functionality on cygwin, you
must
run the /usr/bin/cygserver-config configuration tool that cygwin supplies.

The 'bad system call' is described in several google hits on "cygwin ipcs".

The error you have is that the system is not configured to launch the
message queue support, so you can run programs like gdinfo which don't use the
gplt
process to do coordinate transformations, but the plotting programs can't
launch
gplt which is your error.

See the Cygserver documentation under:
http://www.cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using-cygserver.html
In particular, you need to run the cygserver-config script and set your variable
set CYGWIN=server.

Unfortunately, lestiff which is currently available as a cygwin package is not
completely
compatible for the Motif needed by the GUI programs, so they will not work.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support