Re: 20051116: model vertical profiles not working in garp 5.8.3a

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 01:13:26PM -0700, Unidata Support wrote:

> David,
>
> For the model vertical profile, when the "Type" is SKEW-T (or Stuve),
> the only valid parameters for that graph are tmpc and dwpc, so the other
> scalar and vector values should be grayed out (insensitive), but by changing
> the type
> to logarithmic or linear, the choices become selectable on that type of axis.
>
> Is that consistent with what you are seeing?
>
> Steve Chiswell
> Unidata User Support

Steve,

Ahh.  The linear and logarithmic ones do work, but all are grayed out
from Stuve and Skew-T.  I was getting segmentation faults in Skew-T
and Stuve, but, I just discovered in my email archives this:

> Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:27:22 -0700
> From: Unidata Support <address@hidden>
> David,
>
> I did isolate a problem with the code in the model skewt routine-
> and various Linux compilers as a string constant is passed to routines
> which could modify the memory location. The optimization in gcc
> revealed the problem.
>
> The affected routine is:
> $GARPHOME/object/displayvprof.c
>
> http://www.unidata.ucar.edu/cgi-bin/getfile?file=/content/support/help/MailArchives/gempak/msg04217.html
>

> The above URL contains the updated source code for the routine.
>
> I haven't found any other problems with the use of string constants in Garp,
> but can send you binary or updated source code tree as necessary.

So, I fixed that, and got it to work.  In Skew-T and and Stuve all
parameters are still grayed out, but by clicking display, I do see
tmpc and dwpc plotted (before it was crashing with a segmentation
fault).  So, it works as it should now that I've applied your patch to
$GARPHOME/object/displayvprof.c.

I have an idea that you may have sent me other fixes like this where a
string constant was being passed to garp routines which could modify
the memory location, but I cannot seem to find them in my email
archives.  I can wait until 5.8.4, since garp seems to be working
now.

Thanks,

David
--
David Ovens              e-mail: address@hidden
Research Meteorologist    phone: (206) 685-8108