20060120: 20060119: Garp problem

Mark,

the decoded files for eta211 should be found under
$MODEL/eta/yyyymmddhh_eta211.gem,
so don't modify that entry for NAM80 in the datatype.tbl file.

Probably the best solution is to test modelkeys with a single name "nam80"
and a single corresponding modellabel.

Assuming that still crashes, then if you are using a locally compiled version
of Garp, we should recompile with debugging turned on so we can track the crash.

Edit the $CONFIGDIR/Makeinc.linux file COPT and FOPT lines to:
COPT = -DUNDERSCORE -D$(OPSYS) $(GEMINC) $(MOTIFINC) -g
FOPT =  -fno-second-underscore $(GEMINC) $(GEMINC)/$(OPSYS) -g

Then rebuild garp with:
cd $GARPHOME
make clean
make all
make install

If running $GARPHOME/linux/garp produces a core, we want to see the output of:
% gdb $GARPHOME/linux/garp core.xxxxx

using the "where" command at the gdb> prompt.

If you don't get a core file, and just a segmentation violation,
then you might be able to use "run linux/garp" in the gdb you launched from
the $GARPHOME directory.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

>From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>

>--------------070902090608030400010709
>
>Unidata Support wrote:
>> Mark,
>>
>> The error message are likely due to use of the "eta" modelkey in Garp_defaul
> ts
>> which is using the old garp style string matching of all directories
>> in your $MODEL directory that have the substring "eta" in them.
>>
>> Try changing the modelkey entry of "eta" to "nam80". This should avoid the
>> string matches of eta in directories, and use the NAM80 entry in
>> $GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl. You can remove the empty directories.
>> Here we're expecting the NAM80 to be the eta211 grids in
>> $MODEL/etc/yyyymmddhh_eta211.gem.
>>
>> There may ba a string conflict somewhere else to track down, but we need to
>> see if you can get going without a crash.
>

>It still crashes.
>I changed the lines in Garp_defaults from this:
>
>modelkeys       :
>"gfsthin,avn003,eta,eta212,eta104,dgex,mrf1,mrf2,ngm,ruc,ruc2\
>,ens,gdas,ukmet,ecmwfg,cmc,nogaps,rsas,wseta"
>
>to this:
>
>modelkeys       :
>"gfsthin,avn003,nam80,eta212,eta104,dgex,mrf1,mrf2,ngm,ruc,ru\
>c2,ens,gdas,ukmet,ecmwfg,cmc,nogaps,rsas,wseta"
>
>I also changed all $MODEL/eta entries in datatype.tbl to $MODEL/nam80
>
>I no longer get the dump of error messages on the terminal other than
>one message when starting Garp:
>-------------------- SNIP ------------------------------------
>mark@platypus:~>ntl
>Resource File:  /software/gempak/GEMPAK5.9.1/resource/Ntop
>graphic, satellite, radar, fax -- 33 95 20 2
>  Invoke ... /software/gempak/GEMPAK5.9.1/os/linux/bin/garp
>G A R P - v2.1 starting...
>!!!!!Whoa!!!!!!  Free() got a 0xx
>mark@platypus:~>
>--------------------- END SNIP --------------------------------
>
>When I click on any of the model data apps within garp it crashes garp
>(but not ntl) without any error messages.
>

>>> From: Mark Tucker <address@hidden>
>>
>>> This is a multi-part message in MIME format.
>>> --------------030105010302090503000806
>>>

>>> We've run into a problem with Garp (gempak 5.9.1 comppiled and install
>>> on Slackware Linux 10.0 and Freebsd) where attempting to load any of the
>>> model data interfaces will crash Garp.  ntl does not die, just Garp.  I
>>> have included the error messages which  appear when Garp crashes below.
>>>  The eta, eta-ak and eta12km directories are each empty (which is
>>> another problem I have not yet resolved).  If I remove those
>>> directories, Garp still crashes when opening any of the model data
>>> interfaces but without the error messages I've included below.  The
>>> commandline gempak applications seem to work normally.  We also have
>>> this problem with Gempak 5.8.4 although I've since upgraded those
>>> installations to 5.9.1.  I've looked through the support archives using
>>> the glimps search without finding a solution.  What can I do to stop the
> [...]
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta-ak cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta-ak cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta-ak cannot be opened.
>>> GEMPAK: [FL -4]  Cannot read file ....
>>> GEMPAK: [DM -7]  Read error.
>>> GEMPAK: [GD -2]  File /mnt/data/gempak/model/eta12km cannot be opened.

>>> address@hidden
>>> (802)-626-6328
>>>
>>> --------------030105010302090503000806
>>>
>>> begin:vcard
>>> fn:Mark Tucker
>>> n:Tucker;Mark
>>> org:LSC;Meteorology
>>> adr;dom:;;1001 College Rd.;Lyndonville;VT;05851
>>> email;internet:address@hidden
>>> title:Systems Administrator
>>> tel;work:802-626-6328
>>> tel;fax:802-626-9770