[Support #YER-489194]: Re: 20060120: 20060119: 20060118: 20060117: GEMPAK decoder installation

>WOW. I can't do it! I can't suck in the entire NEXRAD2 feed. Why? My load
>average holds around 7! I am now grabbing just 8 sites by looking at
>someone else's feed entry and now I am back down to 1.27. Phew!

Gilbert,

It boils down to this:
Level 2 current runs between 6 and 30GB per day (winter and summer stats). For
comparison,
CONDUIT is 30GB per day (every day). If you want it all, you have to plan on how
to FILE it (and delete it later!).

Certainly, when you first start up your LDM, you have 1
hours worth of data flying in (The LDM is really fast at sending
that data across your fat pipe, which is more I/O intensive then
when you had a slower connection). The initial slam of all that
data may be a shock to your system. You'll have to see if
the load can settle down any after catching up, but no guarantees there.

If you are doing that much disk IO filing all the data, you probably want to
have a RAID (can be EIDE) for distributing that load across several disks.

Just for clarification, the level 2 data is 1km resolution, and so is level 3-
so you won't see a big difference in images you create if you use the same 5 dBZ
color bar, so your call as to whether you need it for all stations if you
aren't doing
volume displays.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support