[Support #UAL-239105]: Help viewing SSEC archived satellite data in garp

> I ordered and received data from the SSEC data center and tried displaying
> it via garp but am getting visible images that look like noise, and the IR
> images come up blank.  I get the following error for the IR's:
>
> GEMPAK: [IM 1]  No image type entry for file
> ^/data/ldm/gempak/images/sat/GOES-8/4km/IR/IR_19970527_1815
>
> No error is printed for the visibles.
>
> Can you give me any clues for what I need to do to get these to display
> properly?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Art.

Art,

it sounds like the data is raw 10 bit imagery, and the $GEMTBL/sat/imgtyp.tbl
table
does have the appropriate values.

You can use the arinfo program such as "arinfo -a IR_19970527_1815" to print
out the
necessary data info. Since the visibles show up as noise, the 2 byte entry for
GOES8:
GOES8                VIS           0  30240     70      1      2 GRAY
may need to be changed so the max value is 1024 instead of 30240.

For the IR not found, see what arinfo provides for the channel (eg 2**n-1 in
the table).
Unless it is one of the SOUNDER imager channels, where the satellite id would
be different...

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: UAL-239105