[GEMPAK #VCW-937064]: Nmap2 - Level II radar data problem

>I am using Gempak 5.8.3a. I'm having no trouble at all examining all
>types of data sets (NIDS, Metars, Satellite, etc.). However, when
>trying to view Level II data, Nmap2 seg faults and crashes. I've tried
>using "gpnexr2" to no avail as well. As I understand it, all I need to
>do is point to the bzipped Level II data and it should read that just
>fine. What could be the possible problems?

Chris,

You can send GEMPAK support questions to address@hidden or
the address@hidden email list.

With regard to Level2 data which is in the bzip2 convention:

1) Make sure your files have the string "ARCHIVE2." or "AR2V0001" as the
first bytes of the file which you can see with: "od -c file | head".
If not, then these are not the bzip2 level2 data.

If you downloaded the gzipped files from NCDC, then thse are not the
compressed files from he RADAR, but rather uncompressed files that
they gzip for FTPing. If that's the case, you have to gunzip them
(or bunzip if they were bzipped for download).

Since you said that gpnexr2 didn't work either, it would appear that
you do not have the bzip2 format data. There is a difference between
the files which use bzip2 compression internally, and files which
have been bzipped!

2) Make sure you don't have too many files in a directory (1024 in 5.8.x,
or 4096 in 5.9.1 and later).

3) If the files are of type "ARCHIVE2." (see #1, then you must use the
site ID in the file name since these files do not have location in them!
The expected convention is $RAD/craft/kxxx/kxxx_YYYYMMDD_HHNN
where kxxx is the %SITE% template referred to by the NEXRII template in
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl.

If you still can't read the files, please send one for inspection.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: VCW-937064
Department: Support GEMPAK