[GEMPAK #FYA-521992]: GEMPAK - Directory tree for GARP

> Institution: University of Nebraska - Lincoln
> Package Version: Gempak 5.8.3, GARP 2.1
> Operating System: Linux
> Hardware Information: Dell Precision 360
> Inquiry: In all previous versions of GARP I've been able to  personalize the
> Garp_defaults and Gemenviron files so that, within a script, I am able to
> define the GEMDATA path as a command line argument to the script.  This
> allowed me to use GARP for lab exercises that utilize different data sets in
> different locations.  In v2.1 I am no longer able to do this and I cannot
> identify a work-around.
>
> To do this in the past I have defined GEMDATA within the Gemenviron file with
> "setenv GEMDATA $data_path".  The variable data_path is defined within a
> parent script that, after sourcing Gemenviron executes garp.
>
> If I set data_path to a new directory with the correct directory tree (i.e.,
> model/eta) and with a gem file (2006030512_eta211.gem) in the eta directory,
> GARP core dumps when it tries to build the eta file list.
>
> If I set data_path to the default directory wherein the same file listed
> above (along with other files) resides, GARP works just fine.
>
> I have verified that GEMDATA is set correctly before GARP is executed within
> the script.  I have also checked the file permissions.
>
> I have also tried changing the directory name to something that doesn't
> appear within the datatype table in the hopes that this would force the
> reading of the directory within the modelkey vector defined within
> Garp_defaults.  Since the datatype table defines paths to the model data
> using the variable $MODEL, I would assume that if this is set correctly in
> Gemenviron, which I have verified, then the datatype table shouldn't be the
> cause of the problem.
>
> Thanks for your help.

Adam,

The Garp_defaults file looks for grids under:
grids           : $(HDS)

The $HDS for historical reasons in Garp was a single directory
that contained all the grid files, rather than separate directories for
each model, so if you are going to bypass the datatype.tbl template,
thjen your files have to be in the HDS directory, which is defined
in Gemenviron as: $MODEL
(where in real-time, $MODEL = $GEMDATA/model)

When using scripts that are changing $GEMDATA, make sure your $HDS
gets set after you have defined $GEMDATA which would be your
$data_path/model/ where you have eta/yyyymmddhh_eta211.gem
or a flat directory with all your models in $data_path/model
where you would have to use a modelkey such as "eta211".

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User SUpport

Ticket ID: FYA-521992
Department: Support GEMPAK