[GEMPAK #SKO-439884]: Struggling with GEMPAK on RHEL4 x86_64

>I rolled my own. So I downloaded your binary version and one of my
>troublesome scripts is now working, hmmm. The same script gives
>
>[GEMPLT -21] NODEVC - Invalid device selected.
>
>using my compiled version.

Daryl,

This sounds like your compilation had a problem in the
$GEMPAK/source/driver/active/gf, or xw directories.

The gn.a library will have all the entry points that the other devices have,
so a program will link even if the xw.a or gf.a is missing (or missing routines,
or needs ranlib run on it), but the program won't work right.

It could be as simple as not having a lib64/ directory for your motif or X
libraries,
or needing to modify the $CONFIGDIR/Makeinc.linux to use a different path for
those libraries.

My suggestion would be to run by hand:

cd $GEMLIB
rm gf.a xw.a xwp.a
cd $GEMPAK/source/driver/active
make clean
make all
make install

check for any error messages there on the compilation, including any complaints
about ranlib
(or review your previous build log for messages).

If those succeed, you can try building the offending sfcntr_gf or other _gf by
hand with:
cd $GEMPAK/source/programs/sf/sfcntr
make all
make programs_gf