20060406: one or none diamonds showing in nsharp

Neil,

You have a file naming problem here. You should use the
file template capability provide by the dc decoders rather
than using the WMO message time, since the decoder is
able to do time QC checks to determine the appropriate file time-
in particular when more than one upper air report is in a single
bulletin. Eg, use the string data/gempak/upparair/YYYYMMDD_upa.gem

The dcuair decoder will use 3 hour time bins.

The distribution is configured to use daily files in the
$GEMTBL/config/datatype.tbl (also 4 digit years), so that is what NSHARP
will be trying to open when you select "UAIR" unless you have
changed the datatype.tbl entry. Your entry will create hourly files,
but the 3 hour time bins will mean that your yymmdd11_upa.gem file will
have the 12Z time bin in it for example.

I provide the $NAWIPS/ldm/etc/templates/* files for pqact pattern
actions, which match the datatype.tbl file names, so if
possible, I'd suggest using the gen_pqact.csh script to create your
pattern action entries if posible so that upgrading distributions will
be easier in the future! It also allows you to use the UAIR template
capabillity in your SN programs as SNFILE=UAIR[|dattim] which makes
time and file aquisition much easier in scripts.

Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support