[GEMPAK #NRN-252619]: GEMPAK - CAPE CIN with PRES and HGHT

> Inquiry: I'm trying to compute CAPV and CINV from an upper air sounding
> listed in HGHT coordinates (hght.fil).  As an example, I attached two text
> files from which I created GEMPAK upper air files.  The only difference
> between hght.fil and pres.fil is the order of the columns, with HGHT being in
> the 1st column of hght.fil, and PRES being in the 1st column of pres.fil.
>
> When I ask SNLIST for CAPV and CINV, pres.fil gives CAPV =   897.56    CINV =
>   -19.75
> but hght.fil gives
> CAPV =     0.00    CINV =     0.00

David,

The limitation of needing the file on pressure coordinates extends to the LFCV
computation for
determining the level of free convection within the CAPV integration. I don't
see any work arounds at this point other than to reorder height coordinate
files to
pressure coordinate files as you provided in your text attachment.

Sorry that I don't have any other solution for you at this time...
Steve Chiswell
Unidata User Support

Ticket ID: NRN-252619
Department: Support GEMPAK